Sunday 12 July 2015

The roll out process and reviews

I received a phone call from Clifton Cameras, to inform me they had availability of the 5DS R to fulfil my preorder, I explained I would rather test the 5DS R with Leica R lenses for mirror clearance on a demo model in the shop, rather than me return a model with marks on the mirror and also test to my satisfaction the colour rendition against the 1Ds3,  they understood and confirmed a demo model would probably be available in the shop sometime in September. Demand and sales are going well apparently. One thing I'm conscious of though, is that my expectations from the initial announcement, are gradually being eroded by actual information on build, performance and images, as the roll out continues and photographers put the camera through field testing.

One of the very few online photographers I rate highly for gear reviews is Ming Thein, http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/07/02/canon-5dsr-review-part-1/ in part 1 of the review there are images made with the 5DS R of scenery and lighting that I can relate to, the UK. All I can say is that the foliage and some cloud colour appears too yellow/mustard, to my eyes. It could be summer foliage wilting under the recent heat wave and the clouds may be picking up colour from underlying mustard coloured countryside, or it may be RAW conversion software? There is nothing that suggests 'wowza' colour though, quite the opposite. So, I'm more than happy to sit on the sidelines and watch events unfold, which should be interesting with 'no skin in the game'.

EDIT 23/08/15 A phone call from Ian at Clifton Camera to say my 5DR S was in and I visited Clifton Cameras 22/8/15 with the intention of trying out the 5DS R they had in stock with R lenses and testing against 1Ds3 colour, I never even got to that point as I'd made up my mind to stay with the 1Ds3, which despite its age and deficiencies, I can live with for my limited needs and the the prospect of spending £3K+ for more MP, slightly better Live view against a reduction in battery life and weather resistance/build quality I couldn't quite square. In store I apologised to Hannah and mentioned why I was cancelling. There was a 10% discount off binoculars at the store and flushed with saving £3k+, I picked up two pairs of Leica binoculars and a new 1D series battery, so some compensation for the loss of a 5Ds R sale and I'll note again I have been impressed by Clifton Cameras service, help and professionalism.



No comments:

Post a Comment